I am a big fan of Dropbox and I think is the online file storage you can find. I recently had an interesting “problem” that I want to share with you.
First, I had a huge folder (around 20GB) on my Dropbox that was copied to my external HDD a couple of days ago. Today I saw that folder on my dropox account and I deleted it using the web interface. My thought was that, the folder will also be deleted in my dropbox folder and those 20GB will be transformed in free space. It was not the case.
The folder disappeared (it was deleted) but the folder size was still very high. I realized then that if you need some free space, you will also need to clear the cache folder that Dropbox is using. Some awesome explanations and clarification are posted on Dropbox. In order to clear your dropbox cache folder:
1. Browse to
*where Dropbox is your Dropbox folder
2. Delete all the files from this cache folder and clear your recycle bin.
And this operation will get you some free space on your hard drive.
Installing the brand new Windows 8 is pretty easy and actually, pretty beautiful. I think if you are able to install a game or a software, then you are also able to install your Windows 8.
This post will follow the most important steps and will explain how I configured my computer in order to have a brand new Windows 8 operating system.
The system info:
Device: SONY VAIO laptop (2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz)
OS: Windows 8 Professional
Installed using USB device (Boot from USB)
Previous OS: Windows 7 Professional
The steps for a brand new OS are the following:
1. Backup all your data to an external drive (if you have multiple partitions, only C: may be affected and you can backup only your C: drive but still so, its hardly recommended to backup all your data).
3. Restart you computer (insert your disk or USB) and boot for the Windows 8 installation. First, select your language for the installation and then select Install Now.
4. Typer your serila key
5. Select your type of installation. You can upgrade or you can select (Custom) a new installation. Installing the brand new Windows 8 implies a format to C: drive. I chooses Custom in order to be able to modify my partitions.
6. Configure your hard disk drive for the installation. In my case I have a 200 GB HDD with 2 partitions and Windows 7 already installed. Therefore, my HDD (Drive 0) contains Partition 1 used to store the recovery tools from SONY, Partition 2 as Windows 7 reserved and Partitions 3 and 4 as my formal C: and D:
Using drive options, the partitions can be changed and reconfigured for Windows 8. Be aware that you will lose your data if you modify your partitions. Also, Windows 8 requires 350MB for the System reserved partition. In my case I reconfigured all of my partitions. Here you will see how I configured my HDD:
7. That was the hardest part. Now just wait to install Windows 8 and follow the instructions.
Different messages will appear like “Getting devices ready” and your computer will restart. At this restart point be sure you will no longer boot from the installation device (USB/Disk).
A couple of icons/shortcuts to the basic system “places” can be easily configured to appear on your Desktop. Therefore, you can have/change or remove the next icons from your desktop: Computer, User’s Files, Network, Recycle Bin and Control Panel.
To do this you have to:
1. Right click on your Desktop image and choose
2. From the left menu, click on “Change desktop icons”
3. Choose which of the icons should be on the desktop and click OK
And then you should have all your desired icons on the desktop.
Microsoft has revealed a new design for its MSN portal, MSN.com. The new design brings the Metro style in order to welcome the new Windows 8. Also, the Internet Explorer receives an update to the 10th major version.
MSN.com will be the default webpage for the Internet Explorer and the implementation of Metro style will bring a rich experience to Windows 8 users.
The new design will be available starting October 26th.
The official post says:
The launch of Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10 will change the way we use devices and the internet. It opens up a new class of opportunities for us to reimagine all of our products and services including MSN. MSN with more than 480 million visitors per month is the top site in 27 markets and remains one of the most popular media destinations on the Internet.
Honeynet Project offers the possibility to have a beautiful view over how Cyberattacks are spread around the Globe. The red dots on the map represent the attacks and the yellow one are the systems/sensors that record the attacks.
The black box presents the location of the attacks based on the IPs of the machines used. This is only part of the actual number of the attacks. The “Cyber War” is a lot more intense and hard to log on a map. But just for fun, we can have a beautiful image of how attacks are spread over internet.
Facebook became a very strange place for some users. Because social activities involve, in most cases, finding a partner (lover) you can find it stupid and strange. And just because when people try to impress or court someone they usually do silly things.
A common activity is to tell lies about yourself. And this mean to lie about your age (you are older or younger) or post photos of celebrities/other people (faces, ass, cleavage and so on) and say how nice do you feel and tag yourself … or a lot more other silly lies.
In case of photo lies (fake photos) it’s not that hard to figure it out. And I will explain it why.
1. First, the source of celebrities and other people photos. Very rarely you will find authentic photos and most of the time the photos are downloaded from internet using Google image search.
2. Doubt about a photo?
When we see a very beautiful natural photo of a girl that speaks fluently 5 different languages, is 21 years old and single then we may have some doubts about the authenticity of that person. I’m not saying that there are no persons like this but only that it’s unlikely to find them. Someone who is extremely beautiful, extremely smart is also unlikely to be open to small and stupid talks on Facebook messenger. Something about getting out to a coffee with a completely stranger after just 10 minutes of chat. It might bring some doubts.
3. Use same most comment instrument to clear a doubt. If fake users use Google to search for “nice, cute, beautiful” images then we can use the same tool to figure out the origin of a photo. Google offers you the possibility to search not only by words but also uploading images.
Go to Google images and click on “photo camera” icon. Choose “Upload an image” if you saved a certain image on your computer or use the URL option to directly search after a photo link.
In case of celebrities, Google will figure out the name of the person in that picture and that’s pretty easy. If the person is not recognize than you just click on “All sizes” from the “Find other sizes of this images” or “Find similar images”. A list of similar photos will appear. Find the exact copy of your photo and and catch the fraudster :)